NEWS: NT Shelter speaks on ABC National News
NT Shelter speaks on ABC National News
“One in every two houses in remote communities are severely overcrowded”
In May, Chief Executive Officer, Peter McMillan spoke to ABC National News on Housing Australia Future Fund, Federal Budget, Northern Territory Rental Laws, Vacancy rates and more.
Some key facts from the interview about housing in the NT –
- One in every 20 people experiences homelessness, which is 12 x the national average.. That is, one or two children in every classroom in the NT experiences homelessness
- One in every two houses in remote communities are severely overcrowded
- It is not uncommon to see 20-30 people in one household, that is built for a family of 5
- This budget is committing $110 million from the federal government to go into remote housing construction for the next 12 months and $100 million for infrastructure and repairs to remote homelands
- Vacancy rates in rental dwellings are as low as 1% in Darwin and Alice Springs
Watch the interview here.
Furthermore, June 21st 2023 saw Prime Minister Albanese has announced $2 Billion in Social Housing Accelerator Funds to States and Territories, with $50 Million allocated to the Northern Territory. Read more about the press release here.